Monday, August 13, 2007

The little things count too......


Reduce....the amount of the Earth's resources that we use.
Reuse....don't just bin it, could someone else make use of it?
Recycle....can the materials be made into something new?

Recycling doesn't always have to be BIG event.....there are many small ways we can reduce, reuse and recycle every day. I regularly reuse plastic shopping bags to line the small trash cans in my house instead of purchasing small size trash bags at the store. The way I see it, if I empty my six trashcans once a week I have REUSED 312 plastic shopping bags and REDUCED my plastic consumption by 312 trash bags each year. At about 20 trash bags per box purchased new that is about 15.5 boxes of trash bags I HAVEN'T purchased each year. If everyone practiced this recycling effort just think of how many less plastic trashbags would need to be produced every year!

Another small effort I make has to do with water conservation. If I (or anyone else in my family) doesn't drink the full glass of water they have poured, I use the left-over water to water my houseplants. Why pour that water down the drain when it can be put to good use?

Now....I would like to hear some little ways YOU reduce, reuse or recycle. Just leave a comment after this post telling us what you do and I will add your comments to my blog.

Yes, you CAN make a difference!

No comments: